Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Friday, June 12th 2009

10:00 PM

Super League Play-off; Glenafton Athletic vs. Lanark United

PLAY-OFF First Leg, Wednesday 10th June 2009 : Loch Park, New Cumnock


Scorers: Zok, Feroz

The visitors took the lead jut before the break when a trialist put the finishing touches to a fine move. Although Lanark continued to look the more threatening of the two sides the Glens determination saw them hit back twice to take a narrow lead to Moor Park fo the second leg. A Chriz Zok glancing header from close range drew the home side level and then Craig Feroz prodded home a rebound off the bar from equally close range.

Glenafton Athletic: Fahey, Moffat, McGregor, Merrilees, Ward; Doyle, Cameron, Ramsay, McMullan, Zok, Feroz. Subs Eeles, Quinn, Trialist (Beattie)


Play-OFF  2nd Leg Friday 12th June 2009 Moor Park, Lanark


Lanark wn 3-2 on aggregate

The game in many respects was very similar to the 1st leg at Loch Park with Lanark the livelier of the two sides. The first half ended goalless primarily due to a point blank save from Chris Fahey at one end and a glancing header by Craig Feroz at the other that flashed wide of target. The Glens who had already been forced to replace injured defender Gordon Moffat with a trialist were reduced to 10 men just minutes before the break after Jamie Doyle received a second yellow card for dissent. Half-time: Lanark 0 Glens 0. 

The Glens replaced Simon Eeles with a  trialist at the start of the half and the visitors went on to enjoy their best spell of the game in the opening 15 minutes of the half. Paul McMullan made a great run down the right and burst into the box but the Lanark defenders got back in time to block his shot at goal. Craig Feroz outjumped both his markers but his header hit the underside of the bar with the goalkeeper rooted to the spot. McMullan then did brilliantly to get to the dead ball line but his cut back was cut off before any damage could be done. Lanark weathered the storm and 11 men began to dominate in terms of possession and chances created, many of which ended with high balls into the box which Fahey gathered with ease. On 66 minutes the home side pressure paid off and Lanark took the lead from close range. The 10 men Glens dug in and an Andy Ward header caused panic in the home defence. With 4 minutes to go Lanark were reduced to 10 men after Feroz was brought down for the umpteenth time.  The game appeared to be heading for a penalty shoot-out before the home side were awarded a penalty in the 89th minute and Fahey was sent the wrong way to end the Glens seven season spell in the West Region Superleague Premier Division.
Full time Lanark 2 Glens 0

Congratulations and good luck to Lanark in the top flight.
Come Awa' the Afton.

Glens: Fahey; Moffat (trialist - Beattie), Merrilees, Ward, Quinn; Eeles (trialist), Doyle, Ramsay, McMullan (trialist); Feroz, Zok



0 Read what others say.

There are no comments to this entry.

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »