Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, March 14th 2009

5:00 PM

Glenafton Athletic vs. Neilston Juniors: Stagecoach Super League Premier Division


Scorers Quinn, Savage (2)

With a strong wind at their backs Mark Quinn blasted the Glens into the lead on 15 minutes with a cracking shot from the corner of the penalty box.  Celebrations were slighlty muted when a minute later captain Willie Howie limped off the park and was replaced by Simon Eeles. Worse was to follow when a minute after that saint Mark turned sinner when he was woefully short with a pass back to goalkeeper Chris Fahey and Gary Fleming nipped in to put Neilston back on level terms.

Joe Savage restored the home side's advantage on 35 minutes when he beat the offside trap to slam the ball home from 15 yards out beyond advancing keeper Brian Hewitt for his first competitive goal for the Glens. Two minutes lfrom the break big Joe was on target again to thump one in from 12 yards out and give the Glens a 3-1 lead at the interval. Half-time Glens 3 Neilston 1

In a half of few chances it was the Farmers Boys that found the net with 15 minutes remaining through Mark Ferris to half the deficit. Howeve, hopes of a comeback were dented when this saint Mark turned sinner too and was red-carded when he struck out at Jamie Doyle on the way back to the centre-circle to restart the game.   Although the Glens made good use of both flanks in the closing stages of the game the final ball into the box failed to deliver any killer chances and there was to be no further scoring. Full time Glens 3 Neilston 2

Glenafton Athletic :  Gow, Ward,  McGregor ; Connolly (McMullan), Doyle, Howie (Eeles) , Cameron, Quinn; Feroz (Zok), Savage

Neilston Juniors: Hewitt, Morrison, Trialist, Whiteford, Wozencroft, Fleming, Young, Ferris, Murray, Bonnar, Blair. Subs Quinn, Taylor, Gillies, Gilliland, McCafferty

0 Read what others say.

There are no comments to this entry.

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »