Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, March 7th 2009

5:00 PM

Beith Juniors vs. Glenafton Athletic: Ayrshire Weekly Press Cup 1st Round


Scorers: Doyle, Moffat

The Glens took the lead in 13 minutes when Jamie Doyle put the finishing touch to an exquisite passing move and lifted the ball over the advancinng Keith Ross into the netl. The home side hit the post and Chris Fahey pulled of a number of stunning saves as Beith huffed and puffed in front of goal. Ross too peformed heroics to deny both Joe Savage and Chic Connolly. A cracking cup tie that sadly was soon upstaged by the match officials.

For many of the travelling support that old chestnut about  Bellsdale not being a level playing field took on a new slant over two penalty decisions either side of a controversial half-time break. On 40 minutes Gordon Moffat headed the ball clear  but it struck the hand of Connolly and the referee awarded the home side the softest of penalties and booked the Glens man for his protest. Andy Reid sent Fahey the wrong way to level the scores. Half-time Beith 1 Glens 1

chic was apparently involved in an incident as both  teams left the park and he received a second yellow card and seemingly Beith's assistant manager Ian Cashmore was red-carded. The 10 men should have taken the lead soon after the break but keeper Ross pushed a close range header from Savage over the bar. Nevertheless  the Glens pressure paid off as panic in a packed Beith box ended with Jamie Doyle being felled and the visitors awarded a penalty. However, after consultation with his assistant the referee deemed the Glens player to be offside. Sadly for the game this proved to be the first of several decisions that the referee and both his assitants failed to agree on . 

 Back to the football and Beith took the lead when Chris Kerr rose unchallenged to head home from 6 yards out. The Glens hit back immediately when Doyle released Gordon Moffat who played a great one two with Savage before rifling the ball home from 12 yards out. With 20 minutes remaining , a poorly defended free-kick by the Glesn gifted the ball to Andy Reid and he picked his spot from inside the box and slotted home with some style. The 10 men continued to make a game of it but Beith completed the scoring when Brian McKeown fired an unstoppable shot through a crowded penalty and beyond Fahey at full stretch. Full time Beith 4 Glens 2

Glenafton Athletic: Fahey; Ward, Gow (McGregor), Merrilees; Moffat (Carrio), Doyle, Connolly, Howie, Quinn; Savage (Feroz), Zok

1 Read what others say.

Posted by Suster Gila:

Thursday, March 12th 2009 @ 9:11 PM

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »