Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, November 8th 2008

5:00 PM

Glenafton Athletic vs. Dalry Thistle: Citylink Scottish Junior Cup 2nd Round


Scorer: Eeles

Both Steven McGregor and Paul McMullan were unavailable for selection and back into the starting eleven came Andy Gow, in his first game since sustaining a serious head knock against the Meadow and pacey wide-man Simon Eeles.

It was Simon that got the Glens off to a great start after two minutes against a side that had knocked the Glens out of two cup competiitions in the last two seasons. Willie Howie floated a free kick from 10 yards outside the box to the back post and Eeles ghosted in to head the ball across the face of goal, where Kerr was unfortunate to see his attempted clearance reobound off his keeper Fraser, while Eeles showed the presence of mind to nod the loose ball home.

The Glens went on to dominate the half in terms of possession and chances created with the pick of these a Gordon Moffat header on 19 minutes, a Chris Zok lob from 12 yards out on 29 minutes and an Eeles shot from distance two minutes later which squirmed under Fraser's body but narrowly wide of the post.

Dalry were only seen as an attacking force in spells and when chances did come their way , they too failed to show any real potency in front of goal and goalkeeper Chris Fahey was seldom tested.

Half-time Glens 1 Dalry 0

The first chance of the half on 53 minutes fell to Chris Zok from a corner kick but his snap-shot from close range. Five mintues later the young striker played a marvellous ball from the centre circle to release Eeles through the middle who burst into the danger area but was caught in two minds at the edge of the six yard box and the expected shot at goal turned into a cut back across the box, but too far behind Craig Feroz and too far ahead of Zok.

On the hour mark it was Zok again that came close, he eluded an excellent tackle on the penalty spot to get his shot in at goal which although it beat Fraser but went wide. Six minutes later Fraser did well to stop a fierce shot by Jamie Doyle from the edge of the box.

Dalry had upped the tempo in the second half and although on the back foot were still very much in the game. The home goal survived a scare in 77 minutes when a free kick from 35 yards out was launched to the back post but theie were no Dalry takers as the home defence stood static.

Two minutes later, play all but came to a stand still as players from both sides awaited he referee's whistle for a blatant Dalry hand-ball on the centre line. Ball-to-hand must have been the ref's view and the visitors played on, only to win a free-kick of their own, 25 yards or so from goal. This was lofted high high to the back post where McKinnel arrived at speed and smashed an unstoppable shot beyond the outstretched Fahey.

The visitors dug deep for the closing ten minutes but their efforts were almost undone in the last minute when Zok did brilliantly to fire his shot from 12 yards out through a ruck of defenders, but Fraser matched in execution with a wonderful finger-tip save to push the ball just beyond his post.

Full time: Glenafton 1 Dalry 1


GLENAFTON ATHLETIC: Fahey; Moffat, McGregor, Merrilees, Quinn; Doyle, Howie, Ramsay, Eeles (Savage); Feroz, Zok

DALRY THISTLE: Fraser, Duncan, Strain, Stewart, McKinnell, Kerr, McKnight, McCormack, O'Malley, Cusack, Fleeting, Subs Brown, Breslin, Stewart, Sanderson, Rankine.

Photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/GLENAFTON/GlenaftonVsDalryThistle#

0 Read what others say.

There are no comments to this entry.

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »