Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, August 30th 2008

5:00 PM

Glenafton Athletic vs. Cumnock Juniors: Stagecoach Super League Premier Division


Scorers: Zok, Ramsay, Howie, Feroz

The Glens were first to threaten when in 6 minutes the Cumnock defence failed to  deal with a corner-kick and the ball broke to Chris Merrilees at the back post but his powerful shot hit the side netting. The visitors regrouped and enjoyed a sustained period of taking the game to the Glens but their high balls into the box were meat and drink for Merrilees, Andy Gow and Andy Ward who appeared to be taking turns at heading the danger clear.

With 27 minutes gone young Chris Zok looked like making the breakthrough when he combined well with the menacing Joe Savage to break into the box, but the chance was lost after a last ditch tackle by Anton Heffron. Four minutes later Zok's shot from long range whizzed past keeper Graeme Potter but went inches wide. Potter's counter-part, Chris Fahey had to be alert when for once the Glens defence got into a fankle, but the danger was averted and in some style. Paul McMullan gathered the ball in the middle of the park and raced up the left wing with Heffron in pursuit, the young defender doing well to pin the Glens man tight to the touchline, or so it seemed. McMullan jinked past him and then eluded the ensuing tackle and hit a peach of a ball into the six yard box for Chris Zok who stole between two defenders to guide the ball beyond Potter from three yards out, to score his first goal for the club.

Potter then had his hands warmed with a long range effort from Willie Howie and on the stroke of half-time made a point blank save from Chris Cameron; in between times Fahey had denied Richie Barr and then tipped a ball over the bar that was too close to the goal for comfort.

Half-time Glens 1 Cumnock 0

Cumnock started the half in determined fashion but met an equally determined home defence that continued to soak up any high balls into the box with ease. It was the Glens domination of midfield by the trio of Cameron, Howie and Dougie Ramsay, that proved to be the catalyst of what almost became a rout. Every pass from Cameron proved to be a winner and he was unfortunate not to double the Glens lead in 63 minutes when his 20 yard shot crashed off the bar. Four minutes later Dougie Ramsay gathered the ball midway between the half-way line and the penalty box, after good work by McMullan, and slalomed his way through defender after defender before rounding Potter and slamming the ball into the empty net. The Cumnock goalie then made two finger-tip saves in quick succession as the onslaught continued but he had no chance when a McMullan corner-kick was cleared out of the box only to be returned by a thunderous Willie Howie shot ( "Howie-tzer", copyright Alex Jess) that zoomed into the net, to leave the 'Nock shell-shocked and 3-0 down after 72 minutes.

The Glens used all their substitutions and the fresh legs of Simon Eeles and Stuart Tullis threatened to punish Cumnock, the latter pulling off another good save from Potter. However, it was the fresh head of Craig Feroz that compeleted the scoring when at the death he rose above Heffron and placed his header out of the reach of Potter to completed the scoring. There was enough time for Cumnock to sneak a consolation goal but Fahey saved well to keep another clean-sheet.

Full time Glens 4 Cumnock 0

Glenafton Athletic: Fahey; Ward, Gow, Merrilees, Quinn; Cameron, Ramsay, Howie, McMullan (Eeles); Zok  (Tullis), Savage (Feroz)

Match photos



0 Read what others say.

There are no comments to this entry.

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »