Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, April 5th 2008

5:00 PM

Glenafton Athletic vs. Kilsyth Rangers Super League Premier Division


Scorers: Gormley 2, Feroz 2, Agnew, Anderson


The Glens returned to league duty in emphatic fashion with a 6-0 victory over struggling Kilsyth Rangers.  There was little to suggest in the opening exchanges that the home side would secure the three points with such ease, as the visitors gave a good account of themselves. However, when top goalscorer David Gormley poked the ball home from a few yards out after keeper Mitchell failed to hold a Chris Merrilees shot from Frankie Haggarty corner-kick; the wee ‘Gers heads went down.  Ten minutes late Gormley’s progress down the right flank was hampered by the close attention of two Kilsyth defenders forcing him to play the ball back to Chic Connolly who instantly drilled the ball deep into a crowded penalty box, where lurked Craig Feroz with his back to goal in a pocket of three Kilsyth defenders, who along with their goalie were left dumbfounded as the Glens striker opened his account with an overhead kick of sublime quality. Soon after Feroz doubled his tally when he surged through on goal and rounded the outcoming Mitchell and slotted the ball into the empty net to put the Glens three up. It was now one way traffic with the Glens passing game having the visitors chasing shadows, and a minute from the interval out of these shadows popped Stevie Agnew at the back post to get on the end of a fine ball from Haggarty and stroke it home from a few yards out.


Half-time : Glenafton Athletic 4 Kilsyth Rangers 0


The Glens continued to play at a high tempo and appeared to have added to their lead when a great run by Mark Quinn picked out Feroz in the box who in turn laid on for Gormley and his shot beat Mitchell and crashed off the underside off the bar, but despite the young striker’s claims the ball was adjudged not to have crossed the line. Frustration turned to joy soon after when Simon Eeles picked up the ball in the half way line and tore off down the left wing leaving one defender in his wake and launching the ball high into the box before the next one could tackle him, where Gormley met it first time and with the deftest of touches guided the ball past Mitchell at his near post. Electric Eeles was lightning fast down the left again, flashing past two defenders on his way to the bye-line but his cut-back was well blocked at the last moment and a corner kick his only reward on this occasion. 

Substitute Derek Anderson then laid the ball on a plate for Gormley but he spooned it over the bar from ten yards out.  The hit-man then returned the favour when he shook off a defender as he surged into the box and cut the ball across the face of the goal for Anderson to open his Glens account with a tap in from four yards out to make it six – nil.  Gormley almost grabbed his hat-trick with Eeles once again the architect. This time forgoing the left flank Simon cut through the middle like a hot knife through Flora to release Gorrmley on the far edge of the box, who then went wide to elude the advancing and now stranded Mitchell, but the striker’s effort from an acute angle deserved better than hitting the near post.


Glenafton Atheltic: Matthews; Connolly, Merrilees, McGregor, Quinn; Haggarty, Howie, Doyle, Agnew; Feroz, Gormley. Subs used: Eeles, Deeney, Anderson.

1 Read what others say.

Posted by Terry:

It seems that the team is in great form and the last games do point out the same. Players seem to be in their best in these last games and I hope that they will keep up this form for the next games too.
how to stop pop ups
Tuesday, September 11th 2018 @ 8:00 AM

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »