Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Sunday, February 10th 2008

4:19 PM

Bellshill Athletic vs. Glenafton Athletic Super League Premier Division


Scorer: Gormley

A late solo effort by David Gormley secured all three points for the Glens in a game that had offered little in way of goal mouth incident until the closing ten minutes of the contest.

In 82 minutes the ten-men of Bellshill looked certain to break the deadlock when a free-kick was lofted high in to the Glens box which Coulter headed on to the back post but the resultant header from subsitute Nicholls from three yards lacked power and diection and was easily clasped by Gary Matthews. Three minutes later Bellshill almost paid the price for their hospitable folly when an Andy Gow header was fumbled by Scott McNab in the home goal but fortunately for him rather than bobble over the line the ball struck the post and was booted to safety.

However, the keeper had no chance when young Gormley took matter into his own hands. Bruised and battered by this point he picked the ball up on the right hand side of the half way line and drove forward with second half subs Frankie Haggarty to his right and Simon Eeles to the left providing the options for him to release the ball as Coulter once again bore down on him. The ex-Nock defender had run his race and Gormley left him pecking and panting as he burst into the box with his colleagues still looking for the pass, instead a qucik glance at McNab's positioning, saw him pick his spot and hit a delightful shot with the outside of his boot and the ball bludgeon the net. Less than a minute later the whistle blew for time.

The home side will rightly feel aggrieved that the didn't at least get a share of the points. Despite a bright start from the Glens they seldomed threatened McNab in the first half, a solo run from box to box by Stevie Agnew which ended with him being dispossessed just as he was about to shoot for goal the only highlight. Gary Matthews on the other hand had to be alert to make a point blank save to prevent a headed own goal from Steven McGregor. The big centre-half was also involved in a loud penalty shout after a push in the box but the referee saw nothing in it.

Within ten minutes of the re-start Bellhsill were reduced to ten men when a bad tackle by Grant was met with a punch in the face, in full view of the referee and the ensuing red card was inevitable. However, this is a much improved Bellshill team from that which the Glens faced earlier in the season and Tam McDonald's ten buckled down put in an eleven man shift and pegged the Glens back for large periods of the half. Matthews had to be alert at his near post saving first with an outstretched arm and then an equally oustretched leg.

The introduction of Simon Eeles did much to raise the spirits on and off the park and the visitors were looking more potent as an attacking force without it has to be said troubling McNab too much, that is until the 90th minute when Batman's pal, (the boy wonder) struck - KER-POW!!.

Glenafton Athletic: Matthews; Merrilees (Haggarty), Gow, McGregor, Quinn; Connolly, Doyle, Casey, Agnew (Anderson), Grant (Eeles), Gormley

Check out Siney's Match Video Clips at



Stevie Agnew


Mark Casey


Chris Merrilees

Chic Connolly


Simon Eeles


David Gormley


David and Mark celebrate the late winner




0 Read what others say.

There are no comments to this entry.

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »