Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, November 17th 2007

4:00 PM

Arthurlie vs. GLENAFTON ATHLETIC Stagecoach Super League Premier Division


Scorer: Whalen

With the home side turning down the request to bring the kick-off forward to allow Glens fans the chance to get back to New Cumnock to see the crucial Scotland vs Italy match on TV and the referee’s time keeping it would be no surprise to learn that some supporter are still making their way back from Barrhead! In a day of dramatic late goals none came later in a match than Arthurlie’s 95th minute equaliser, when a corner kick was partially cleared to the edge of the Glens box, only for Johnston to rifle it into the roof of the net.

The late late goal cancelled out Stephen Whalen’s opener which came in the 64th minute and here too the source was an Arthurlie corner-kick. Again the ball was partially cleared and as Hughes tried an ambitious overhead kick, he was robbed off the ball which fell to Stevie Agnew, who then played a long perfectly weighted pass for Stephen Whalen, loitering with intent on the half-way line to run on to and at the 18 yard line he unleashed his shot beyond the advancing Farrell. The home side may have well have felt rather peeved since they had certainly stepped up a gear in the second half, after having been outplayed in the first period. On the other hand the Glens were entitled to feel that the goal was richly deserved based on their efforts thus far.

Conditions and an overly fussy referee were not conducive to free flowing football.  It was the visitors that looked the most threatening in the first half, with Willie Howie in command in the middle of the park and Whalen and David Gormley chasing every ball and harrying the ‘Lie defence into giving up possession too readily. Jamie Doyle, Aggie and Whalen all tested keeper Farrell in the opening forty-five. At the other end ‘ Lie huffed and puffed and often dwelled too long on the ball allowing the Glens to get back in numbers; when they did get near Matthews they found him in fine form, his handling of the ball immaculate in such greasy conditions.

In the second half the rain got heavier and the wind got stronger and ‘Lie upped the tempo but were fortunate not to go two behind after excellent play by Chic Connolly who slalomed his way into the box but there were no takers for his cut-back across the six yard line. They were a tad more fortunate when the official conjured up 5 minutes of added on time - but they took their chance for once.

Glenafton Athletic: Matthews; Merrilees, Gow, McGregor, Quinn; Conolly (Deeney), Doyle, Howie, Agnew; Whalen, Gormley (Grant)

Arthurlie :Farrell, Ballantyne, Sharp, Baxter (McKeown ), Wardle, Gallacher, Johnston, Hughes, Docherty (Malcolm ), Winter, McFadden (Smith 



David Gormley with Brian Wardle - keeping his hands down on this occasion

Willie Howie wrong footing McFadden

Stephen Whalen wins the ball


David Gormley watches Stephen Whalen's shot flash past Farrell (honest that's the ball)

Goal celebrations brighten up Barrhead


Siney's  video http://pic5.piczo.com/sineys/?g=43740785


0 Read what others say.

There are no comments to this entry.

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »