Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, August 18th 2007

10:43 PM

Cumnock Juniors vs. Glenafton Athletic Ardagh Ayrshire League Cup Section 4

Cumnock Juniors 3 Glenafton Athletic 1

Scorer: Brown

With Andy Gow unavailable for selection Darren Johnstone partnered Steven McGregor in the centre of defence, a position that DJ had filled on numerous occasions last season and most notably in the play-off matches against the Buffs. However, it proved to be an eventful ninety minutes for the new partnership and indeed it was breached within seconds of the kick-off but with the Glens goal at his mercy Campbell sclaffed his shot past Gary Matthews' right hand post. 

Having failed on the ground, the 'Nock, chiefly through keeper Graham Potter, launched a number of aerial attacks into the Glens box, or down the flanks by-passing the central midfield players of both clubs, who had they been thrown a ball could have had a game of their own for long periods of this game. Another punt, this time down the right flank saw the 'Nock player hare to the corner flag in pursuit and get the better of Stevie Agnew and curl the ball into the six yard box where John McLay was free to pick his spot and head the ball home, with 5 minutes on the clock.

The Glens were looking shell-shocked but gradually came to their senses and a good run from Haggarty saw him cut in from the right and head for the box only for the referee to fail to play advantage and award the Glens a free-kick ten yards back and allow the 'Nock to put ten men behind the ball. Frankie's frustration soon abated when he received a wonderful cross-field pass from Simon Eeles on the left flank, and powered his way down the right wing and floated a peach of a ball into the box for Gavin Brown to power head home for the equaliser with 15 minutes gone.

The home side rallied well from this set back and did show that when they wanted too they could string some passes together and move the ball from box to box with great effect. One such array of passes was brought to an end with a Johnstone challenge inside the box, as the away supporters looked for the sniper on the viaduct, the referee pointed to the spot, and Stevie Farrell sent Matthews the wrong way from the spot, to restore Cumnock's lead on 24 minutes.

Five minutes later the Glens nearly got back on level terms when a Brown header from a Haggarty corner caused panic in the 'Nock box, but Potter finally collapsed on the ball and smothered it safely. As a mark of respect he took pity on the ball and on this occasion threw it out, rather than try to punt it to the Tanyard!

Half-time Cumnock Juniors 2 Glenafton Athletic 1

The Glens replaced an injured Stephen Whalen with young David Gormley at the break and Mark Quinn came on for Kevin Deeney, slotting in at left-back to allow Aggie to push forward. Gormley made a quick impression and was soon in the thick of things his first attempt going wide of the Potter's left hand post. Eeles shot low and hard from distance and Potter did well to hold the ball on the greasy surface as Gormley waited on any spillage. 

With 8 minutes of the half gone, Potter and Brown were involved in a 50-50 chase for the ball as it trundled towards the outskirts of the penalty box, although Brown won the challenge, he was injured in the process and had to be carried from the field in considerable pain. Simon Eeles moved up front and Jamie Doyle (trialist) came on to fill the midfield vacancy. The home side made the most of the forced changes and on the hour mark extended their lead when McLay headed home his second of the day, again from close range. Five minutes later Matthews denied the former 'Frew man his hat-trick when he flicked the ball from his head and over the bar. Gormley then went close for the Glens rising above McLay in the 'Nock box but his header beat Potter's bar. 

Any hope of a Glens come-back disappeared in 72 minutes when Chic Connolly was shown a red card for kicking out after being on the receiving end of a horror challenge from Rickie Barr;  the former 'Frew man very fortunate not to be joining Connolly in the walk up the Townhead fly-over to the club house.  A superb save from Matthews followed quickly by another one in the 'no bad' category prevented the 'Nock from pressing home their numerical advantage.

With 10 against 11, 2 goals down and time running out it was now big Gary's turn to punt the ball the length of the park and hope for the best. With 8 minutes remaining Gormley almost pulled one back for the Glens. Picking the ball up on the outskirts of the 'Nock box he flicked the ball over the heads of McGowan and McClay and by-passed them (a roundabout of Dettingen proportions) to colllect the ball, which never fell kindly, but still he got his shot on target and forced Potter into a fine save.

A bad day got a whole lot worse for the Glens when with 5 minutes to go Haggarty hobbled off with a knee injury. The 9 men continued to seek out a consolation goal but there was to be no further scoring

Full Time Cumnock Juniors 3 Glenafton Athletic 1

With Auchinleck also maintaining their 100% record they will join Cumnock in the knock-out stage of the competition.

Glenafton Athletic: Matthews; Connolly, Johnstone, McGregor, Agnew; Haggarty, Deeney (Quinn), Howie, Eeles; Whalen (Gormley), Brown (Doyle -Trialist).



Kevin Deeney celebrates as Gavin Brown's header hits the back of the net

Gavin Brown beats Graham Potter to the ball


Frankie Haggarty with Steven McGregor

Potter blocks David Gormley's late effort


David Gormley

0 Read what others say.

There are no comments to this entry.

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »