Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Wednesday, May 2nd 2007

9:00 PM

Renfrew vs. GLENAFTON ATHLETIC Super League Premier Division


Another crucial end-of-season league game at Western Park saw the Glens face a rejuvenated ‘Frew side, who although already relegated and won their last 3 games. Stevie Agnew was once again side-lined with the back-injury sustained against Cumnock. Peter Jordan returned to the side at right back with John Kane making a midfield five and Gavin Brown the lone striker. The home side did all the early pressing with Smith and McKenzie looking dangerous ; while the Glens struggled to find any rhythm to their play. The ‘Frew’s bright start was rewarded with an early goal which was simple in its construction and clinical in its execution. The ball was played down the left wing and with the Glens defence backing off it was squared at ease to the box and Alan Brown had the space and time to pick his spot and slam the ball home with some style. Nicky Weightman came on for Jordan, to partner Brown up front and Kane dropped back to right back position . The switch quickly paid dividends with the Glens now pressing the game and creating a number of chances; the best of which saw Darren Johnstone go close with a header from a corner-kick.

Half-time Renfrew 1 Glenafton 0

The Glens dominated the second-half and had the ball in the back off the net on two occasions. First through Willie Howie who won a challenge in the Frew’s penalty box but the referee deemed he had done so unfairly before he lashed the ball home. The referee may well have deserved the benefit of any doubt in this occasion. Of greater controversy was decision to disallow Chic Connolly’s goal. Not for the first time the Frew defence who were pushing up to the half-way line were left for dead when the ball was lobbed over the back four, and on this occasion Nicky Weightman collected the ball and headed goalward with only Phillips to beat; as the towering goalie advanced Nicky played the ball forward for Connolly who was on-side to run on and slam it home. The referee’s assistant headed for the half-way line whilst the referee eventually arrived in the box and deemed the goal to be offside - no consultation with his assistant. Connolly had the chance to put this disappointment behind him when he found himself through one-on-one with Phillips but the big goalie came out on top. Howie and Haggarty came close and even Davie Stewart took matters into his own hands and a surging run into the box finished with a cannonball that Phillips held. He had no chance with a Ryan Scobie half-volley , hit with his back to the goal, but it went narrowly past the post. In the last chance of the game Phillips pulled off a stunning point-blank save from a thunderous shot by Gavin Brown . Full-time Renfrew 1 Glenafton 0


Glenafton Athletic: Matthews; Jordan (Weightman), McCaig John, Johnstone, Stewart; Connolly, Haggarty, Kane, Howie, Quinn (Scobie); Brown


0 Read what others say.

There are no comments to this entry.

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »