Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, October 14th 2006

12:13 PM

Whyte & McKay West of Scotland Cup 1st Round Whitletts vs. Glenafton Athletic

Whitletts Victoria 1 GLENAFTON ATHLETIC 4

Scorers: Agnew, Howie, Connolly 2

The Glens defence of the West of Scotland Cup saw the holders travel to Voluntary Park, Ayr to face Whitletts Victoria, who currently sit in 4th position in the Ayrshire District League, and are unbeaten in home in the league. Stevie Agnew and Chic Connolly formed the strikiing partnership, whilst Liam Paterson joined John McCaig in the centre of defence and Dale Beattie reverted to his familiar midfield role.

It was the home side that were the more industrious in the opening encounters, pegging the Glens back deep in their own half, but their efforts delivered little in terms of clear cut chances. As the half progressed the Glens began to press forward and they too created chance od little of note other than a long range effort from Willie Howie and a good run into the box from Chic Connolly but his effort went over the bar.

The game was now evenly balanced and Gary Matthews had to be alert to ensure that a high lob into the Glens' goalmouth was going safely over the bar. A great chance came the Vics' way when they beat the offside trap , with the Glens back-line pushed forward almsost up to the half-way line. The recipient of the ball clearly didn't fancy the solo run towards Matthews and instead tried a long range effort which lacked the power and the accuracy to bother the keeper. The best chance of the half however, fell to Stevie Agnew, ten minutes from the break. He darted down the left flank, (leaving the hare and the greyhounds in his wake) and burst into the box, but his thunderbolt from 12 yards out flashed past the keeper and thew post.

Half-time Whitletts 0 Glenafton 0

The Glens were lightning quick out of the traps in the second half and when Stevie Agnew knocked the ball in from close range in the opening minute and Willie Howie fired home the second, some ten minutes later, the tie seemed all but over. However, the Vics fought back and after some fine build up play they clawed a goal back, half way through the second half and the race to finish was back on.  The smell of a come-back in their nostrils was soon expunged when Chic Connolly beat the offside trap and hared in on goal and finished off with an exquisite lob over the advancing goalkeeper, to restore the Glens two goal cushion. The same player capped a fine performance with a tremendous solo effort, ten minutes from time, as he ran from the half way line and slalomed his way past opponent after opponent , evading tackle after tackle, and then clipped the ball home beyond the goalie , to make it 4-1.

The game finished in controversial fashion when the Vics were awarded a penalty kick in the dying minutes of the game and Dale Beattie was shown a straight red card for his protests. Whitletts sub was unable to take advantage of the decision and Gary Matthews save ensure the score-line remained 4-1 in favour of the Glens.

Full time Whitletts 1 Glenafton 4


Glenafton Athletic: Matthews; Martin, Paterson, McCaig, Mathie; Cassidy, Howie, Beattie, McQuade; Connolly, Agnew. Subs Allan, Johnstone

Liam Paterson with Graham Mathie looking on (photo courtesy of John Vass)

David Martin and Paul Cassidy

Chic Connolly



Stevie Agnew makes it 1-0 (photo courtesy of John Vass)

Willie Howie fires home to make it 2-0 (photo courtesy of John Vass)

Chic Connolly lobs home to make it 3-1 (photo courtesy of John Vass)

Chic makes it 4-0 (photo courtesy of John Vass)



Gary Matthews saves Vics' late penalty (photo courtesy of John Vass)



Trap 6   'Siney's Comeback'   romps home !!

2 Read what others say.

Posted by siney:

At least you cant see my baldy spot on ma head Bobby ha ha
Sunday, October 15th 2006 @ 6:04 PM

Posted by Bobby:

But where was that young pup 'Antap No More!
Sunday, October 15th 2006 @ 7:02 PM

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »