Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, August 19th 2006

10:57 PM

Stagecoach Super League Premier Division GLENAFTON ATHLETIC vs. RENFREW


The Glens welcomed Renfrew, last season runners-up, to Loch Park for the opening game of the new league campaign.  With Garry Matthews, Willie Howie, Dale Beattie, Brian Miller, Stevie Agnew and Scott Houston all unavailable for selection the Glens made three changes from the side tha lost out to Cumnock in mid-week . Trialist Paul Gaughan came into the centre of defence and Dave Stewart started at right back, with David Martin and Scott McQuade dropping to the bench; and Zander Allan replaced Scott Houston up front.


There was little to separate the two teams in the opening half, although the Glens perhaps came out slightly on top in terms of possession and territorial advantage. Gaughan was having a solid debut and the Glens coped well for much of the half with Frew’s front-men. The Glens created more openings than the visitors but too often the first touch of their front-men or the final pass into the box was not clinical enough. They did force a number of corner-kicks and Chic Connolly did well to get his head to the one-or-two that the reliable Meechan in the visitor’s goal didn’t’ manage to grasp with ease. Renfrew had the big goalie to thank for preventing the home-side from taking the lead when Darren Johnstone did well to make space for himself in a busy ‘Frew box and rifle his shot goal-ward, but Meechan did enough to parry it on to the post and away from danger.


As the half drew to a close Renfrew enjoyed their best spell in terms of attacking play, an excellent break down the left saw Richie Barr break free and bare down on Martin in the Glens goal, who had no option but to leave his line, but on this occasion Barr lacked the finesse to finish his good work and Martin saved well. Almost immediately Frew broke down the right wing and the ball was played across the goal mouth but finished in the other flank due to lack of takers or clearers. Half-time: Glenafton Athletic 0 Renfrew 0


Renfrew, buoyed by their positive finish to the half, started the brighter of the two sides.  Although many of their attacks were initiated by mammoth goal-kicks straight down the middle by Meechan, these were occasionally complemented by some neat passing moves down the flanks. In stark contrast the Glens were making heavy weather of pushing forward and Caldwell and McQuade came on to freshen things up, at the expense of Allan and Mathie. However, within minutes Frew’s pace down the right wing left the Glens defence for the dead, and this time the advancing Martin was beaten with a well struck shot which went in at the far post to give Renfrew a 1-0 lead, with 30 minutes remaining. The Glens attempted rally had mounted to no more than a few corners kicks when 12 minutes later visitors extended their lead. A long ball through the middle was poorly dealt with, a ‘fresh-air’ swipe saw the ball break kindly for the ‘Frew forward who picked his spot and slotted the ball home with relative ease.


The Glens response on this occasion was much more threatening with Connolly given the freedom to push forward. However, Meechan and his central defenders were in determined mood and the Glens huffing and puffing came to nothing in the end, the nearest to a goal saw young Caldwell and Connolly unlucky not to force the ball over the line from a few yards out. Full-Time: Glenafton Athletic 0 Renfrew 2



GLENAFTON ATHLETIC:  Martin Darren; Jordan, Gaughan (Martin David), McCaig, Stewart, Mathie (McQuade); Cassidy, Connolly, Quinn, Johnstone, Allan (Caldwell)



Chic Connolly on the end of a corner



Cassidy, Quinn and Allan



Zander Allan


Chic Connolly


0 Read what others say.

There are no comments to this entry.

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »