Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, May 6th 2006

12:59 PM

Whyte & McKay West of Scotland Cup Final Glenafton Athletic vs. Maryhill


May 6th 2006,

Newlandsfield Park, Glasgow.




(Glenafton win 4-3 penalties)


The Glens welcomed back Steven McGregor to the side, at the ground where, back in January  he had made such an impressive debut for the club in a 2-2 draw with Pollok. Stevie Agnew and Graham Mathie both recovered from knocks sustained at Shotts last week and were included in the starting eleven.  Agnew along with Garry Matthews, Robbie Mitchell, Craig Bingham and Scott Houston were the remaining survivors from the Glens team that won the trophy for the first time in the club’s history in 2002-03, beating Bellshill Athletic 4-2 in the final.


In Bellshill’s ranks that day was Maryhill and Scotland hot-shot Bryan Dingwall, but it was a day to forget for the prolific goal-scorer as his volatile temperament got the better of him once again, and off he went. The 2003-04 final proved more fruitful as Dingwall, when, as gamekeeper turned poacher, he bagged a brace as Maryhill beat Bellshill 3-1, in another Newlandsfield final. This was the second time that Maryhill had won the West of Scotland Cup, their first win coming in 2000-01 with a 1-0 victory over Auchinleck Talbot.


Maryhill started the match as clear favourites following an impressive 6 match unbeaten run in the league, with 4 wins, including a 4-2 thrashing of Pollok here at Newlandsfield; as well as claiming the scalps of Pollok and Arthurlie en-route to the final.


Before kick-off, the young Glenafton mascot was seen slotting a penalty kick home against a young goalkeeper called Matthews, an omen perhaps to how the day may finish.


It was the Glasgow side, in the Glasgow sunshine that started the brightest on the immaculate playing surface of Newlandsfield, the best in Glasgow. A darting run down the left flank by Billy Jones finished with a shot which flashed past Gary Matthews’ right hand side upright was an early warning for the Ayrshire side. Matthews then did well to bring an end to the next foray with a fine save, and third attempt at goal by the ‘ Hill was not far behind. The game then settled down into a tense and at times a scrappy midfield contest and chances were restricted to a number of free kicks outside the respective penalty boxes. Stevie Agnew came close for the Glens but Scott Black made a comfortable save; whilst the best Maryhill chance was easily blocked by the Afton wall. After 20 minutes, the heavens opened and the Glens were first to adapt to the change in conditions. Brian Miller was now causing problems for the ‘Hill defence and finding his way into the box more readily but the final ball into the box found few takers.


However, it was Maryhill that were to make the breakthrough, a break-away ended in the winning of a corner kick. It was poorly hit to the near post and only partially cleared back out to the taker, who played it back in to a crowded penalty box, where it pin-balled about attackers and defenders alike before being slotted home by Kevin Murray; despite strong protests from the Ayrshireman the goal stood and Maryhill were 1-0 up, with 24 minutes on the clock. 


The Glens fought back and Dale Beattie and Willie Howie were winning the midfield battles and Miller was still menacing but received a number of knocks for his troubles. On 35 minutes Zander Allan almost grabbed the equaliser but his shot from six-yards out went inches past the post. Two minutes later the striker won a free kick on the edge of the box after an attempted scissors-kick clearance by the ‘Hill defender was adjudged as dangerous play; an offence which appeared to have taken inside the box. Maryhill, also survived a strong claim for hand-ball in the box, but not for the first or last time would the referee fail to hand to ball. The Glens forced a flurry of corners kicks game but the half ended with them a goal behind and yet still very much in the game.


Half-time: Glenafton Athletic 0 Maryhill 1


The Glens began the second half where they left off and Stevie Agnew was now proving to be a handful for the ‘Hill defence and tested Black on two occasions, but without success. Willie Howie was next to try his luck but to no avail and then John McCaig saw his effort from one of a host of Glens’ corners go just wide. Maryhill lost their way and Black’s long punts upfield ultimately gave the Glens possession, with Steven McGregor mopping up any loose balls. The Glens on the other hand preferred to build from the back through the outstanding duo of Robbie Mitchell and Graham Mathie, their overlapping play had ‘Hill defenders chasing shadows time after time, and it seemed only a matter of time before the Glens would draw level. On the hour mark, Darren Johnstone was next to test Black with a close-range header, but again the ‘Hill keeper came out on top; as he did ten minutes later when he punched the ball clear for a corner from the head of Scott Houston, who had come on to replace Allan. The  ‘Hill goalie had no chance however, when Agnew swung in the perfect corner for McGregor to outjump the Maryhill No. 4 and bullet an unstoppable header home for a much deserved equaliser.


The Glens continued to dominate the game but Maryhill would occasionally show their teeth on the break, typically through Dingwall, but his final shot would gang aft agley or be comfortably saved by the dependable Matthews, who would then release either Mitchell or Mathie and the Afton would flow gently forward in attack once more. Brian Blair came on for the injured Miller who by now had taken one knock too many. The winner it seemed was not far off and with 10 minutes to go it almost came, but at the unexpected end. Maryhill sub Gino Invicibile managed to break free from the Glens defence and headed goalwards, but oohh Gino, it was Matthews that proved to be invincible. A minute later a Houston header beat Black but it bounced along the cross bar, and fell to safety. Craig Bingham came on to replace Willie Howie as the Glens went all out to secure the trophy in regulation time, but time, as it does, ran out.


Full-time: Glenafton Athletic 1 Maryhill 1


Robbie Mitchell sends Black the wrong way.  Glens. 1-0

Bryan Dingwall’s spot-kick is brilliantly blocked by Matthews. Glens 1-0

Black dives full length to his right to stop Dale Beattie’s kick. Glens 1-0

Kevin Murray’s thunderbolt bounces back off the cross bar. Glens 1-0

Black saves Brian Blair’s kick at his right hand post. Glens 1-0

Billy Jones squares the shoot-out and Black celebrates with high-5’s . 1-1

Black dives to the left this time, but Darren Johnstone slots it home to the right. Glens 2-1,

Matthews gets a hand to Greg McCulloch’s kick but can’t stop the goal. 2-2

Scott Houston blast the ball down the middle as Black goes left. Glens 3-2

Marty McLaughlan sends Matthews the wrong way to take it to sudden death . 3-3

Stevie Agnew sends it to Black’s right, as the keeper goes left. Glens 4-3

Dave Williams misses the target. Glens win 4-3 on penalties


The pre-match penalty by the Glenafton mascot turned out to be a lucky omen after all and although Matthews younger could not emulate Matthews senior, he was first on the pitch to congratulate his father, later to be acclaimed as “Golden Gloves Gary”. 


Before the cup presentation, Steven McGregor received his man-of-the-match award for a solid performance at the heart of the Glens defence and for his marvellous equaliser. As Gerry Collins looked on with more that a hint of satisfaction, the Glens captain Willie Howie lifted the Whyte & McKay West of Scotland Cup in the heartlands of Glasgow to add to the Ayrshire League Cup – Happy 75th Birthday!


A word of praise too must go to the Maryill team and their fans, as well as the ‘neutral fans’ for the generous applause at the end of a keenly fought final.


GLENAFTON ATHLETIC: Matthews; Mitchell, McGregor, McCaig, Mathie; Miller (Blair) Howie (Bingham), Beattie, Agnew; Johnstone, Allan (Houston) Subs: Patterson, MacAninch.

MARYHILL: Black, Murray, Hughes, McCulloch, Wardle, Gallagher, Jones, McGuinness ( Invincible), Dingwall, Andrew, Williams.  Subs:Wilson, Giles, Watret.

Brian Miller cahllenging in the Maryhill box

Steven McGregor leaps to head the equaliser home

Scott Houston nearly makes it 2-1 but his header rolls along the bar

Ronne looks on as Robbie Mitchell scores the first penalty for the Glens


Gary Matthews saves Brian Dingwall's opening spot kick for Maryhill






5 Read what others say.

Posted by Bobby Guthrie:

Congratulations to Gerry and the Team - great performance. Mine's a double tonight!:o:o
Saturday, May 6th 2006 @ 7:18 PM

Posted by SINEY:

Saturday, May 6th 2006 @ 7:55 PM

Posted by John C:

Brilliant photos once again Bobby , especially the one of Stevens goal !!
Thought we thoroughly desereved the victory . Would have been bitterly dissapointed to lose the game on pens .
Well done to Gerry and the Boys ..... Evening Times Cup next will do fine !!:):)
Sunday, May 7th 2006 @ 9:17 PM

Posted by Bobby Guthrie:

It was a cracking goal John - there some fine looking folk on the terraces !
3-1 at Rugby Park today, great week-end
cheers bobby
Sunday, May 7th 2006 @ 11:39 PM

Posted by Penyakit Condyloma Penis Pria:

keep moving
Wednesday, August 12th 2015 @ 2:51 PM

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »