Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, March 25th 2006

8:56 PM

Whyte & McKay West of Scotland Cup Quarter-Final


Scorer: Allan

The Glens' victory was considerably more comfortable than the 1-0 scoreline suggests and it puts them through to the semi-final of the West of Scotland Cup, where they will now meet fellow Ayrshire side Hurlford United, with the winners of that tie facing either Arthurlie or Maryhill in the final. 

Chances were few and far between at either end in the openiing half of the first forty-five. Glens goalie Gary Matthews was commanding his goal-area with great zeal, safely clutching or occasionally punching clear any high balls that were being fired in from afar, or set pieces. Iain Banks , his opposite number had saved well from the head of Scott Houston and then Steven McGregor whilst upfield for a corner-kick. Shotts also survived a loud penalty shout when Steven Agnew appeared to be sent crashing in the box, after some trademark trrickery leaving the Shotts defenders chasing their shadows in the Spring sunshine.  With 25 minutes gone the Glens were forced into a reshuffle after captain Willie Howie was badly injured following a mis-timed tackle by a Shotts midfielder and had to be replaced with Liam Paterson.  In the 29th minute the Glens pressure paid off when Zander Allan made amends for being easily disposessed in the Shotts box, by capitalising on some slack defending, and retrieving the ball and swiftly despatching it beyond the bewlidered Banks (if it's any consolation his namesake Gordon would have had trouble stopping it!) The Glens then dominated the closing stages of the half, but without adding to the score-line. Half-time : Glenafton 1 Shotts 0

Indeed there would be no further scoring in the game although the Glens did create a number of good chances, the best of which came with 20 minutes of the game remaining. Good build up play down the right wing saw Robbie Mitchell burst into the Shotts penalty box but his run was brought to an abrupt end on the six-yard line with a goal saving tackle and although the ball fell kindly for Allan, his shot lacked the power to deny the Shotts defender to get the goal-line and clear the ball. Five minutes later Shotts  carved out their best chance of the game with a number of players contributing to a fine passing move down the left-flank; before the ball was played into the box, but the Shotts striker could not connect with any great conviction and the ball went tamely wide. Banks then made a good save at the feet of Darren Johnstone. He also saved at Craig Bingham's feet, only on this occasion he was some 10 yards outside his box after another lapse in the visitors defence -  but thankfully for the keeper the ref failed to spot the offence. Brian Blair then had the ball in the net but the referee had already blown for offside. Shotts were reduced to 10 men in the dying minutesd when the volatile Kevin Brown was giving his marching orders for his part in the 12 man strong gathering after the Glens Steven McGregor had been hacked to the ground again; Gary Matthews 's peace-keeping endeavours were not appreciated by the referee and was duly rewarded wtih a yellow-card.

Full-time Glenafton 1 Shotts 0


GLENAFTON ATHLETIC : Matthews, Mitchell (Bingham), McGregor, Stewart, Mathie; Millar, Blair, Howie (Paterson) , Agnew; Houston (Johnstone) , Allan

SHOTTS BON ACCORD : Banks, McSeveney, O'Keane, McNulty, Gaffney, Brown, McLintock, Stewart, Donnachie, McCheyne,  Boyak. Subs Jack, White, Herriot, wallace,


Gary Matthews pulling no punches

Steven McGregor comes close to breaking Banks

Zander Allan closes in ........

The Zander Allan fan club try to cheer up the Shotts goalie


Bella does ' The Seal' as Robbie looks on!

Znader nearly makes it 2 - as Robbie looks on!

Darren Johnstone blocked by Banks


1 Read what others say.

Posted by bj:

1-0 flatters them but we really do need to be seriosly more ruthless
Sunday, March 26th 2006 @ 1:31 AM

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »