Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog


journal photo

Saturday, September 3rd 2005

6:40 PM

Stagecoach Super League Premier Division




The Glens travelled to Western Park to meet table-topping Renfrew who had claimed maximum points from their opening 2 league games, a 5-0 thrashing of the beleaguered Arthurlie and an equally impressive 2-0 away to the fancied Maryhill.  This was a similar scenario to last season when ‘Frew came to Loch Park with 6 out of 6, but returned home pointless after a 4-0 hammering.  Sadly history didn’t repeat itself and indeed with countless second half chances Renfrew could easily handed out a 4-0 hammering but instead had to settle for a narrow 1-0 victory.


The Glens were first to respond to the glorious sunny conditions and were creating chances down both flanks chiefly through Stevie Agnew on the left and Brian Miller on the right; with balls played into the feet and heads of twin strikers Scott Houston and Darren Johnstone. Even the early loss of Craig Bingham after a nasty clash didn’t appear to upset the Glens’ rhythm, but still they couldn’t find a way past home goalie Kenny Meechan. But it was ‘Frew that took the lead against the run of play. A long ball from deep in their  defence was played on by Gordon Smith, leaving Billy McLafferty to run on and sclaff the ball  past Gary Matthews.  The Glens regrouped and continued to push forward and Meechan made a fine save from a Houston free-kick.  Another foray into the ‘Frew box and as Johnstone looked certain to stroke home the equaliser his shirt was blatantly pulled by the Frew defender, but the strong appeals for the penalty were ignored. The Glens were then fortunate not to fall further behind when ‘Frew’s No. 4 rose unchallenged at a corner-kick but his header went just wide. Half-Time : Renfrew 1 Glenafton 0.


A see-saw second half appeared to be on the cards when the Glens were caught napping almost straight from the kick-off after great build-up play by Smith; only for the Agnew to carve out a similar chance for the Glens a few minutes later. But the see-saw soon came to a rest and it was the home-side that created countless chances, many of which were instigated by Smith and thankfully he wasn’t involved in finishing off many of these moves. McClafferty sclaffed wide when he seemed certain to claim his second; Matthews made a great one-footed save, and another shot cannoned off the post.  With Frew’s lack of killer touch there was always a chance that the Glens could sneak an equaliser but Houston and Johnstone were constantly foiled by Meechan whose hands were as safe as very safe houses. 

Full time Renfrew 1 Glenafton 0



Glenafton: Matthews; McAninch (Murray), Joyce, Paterson, Stewart, Bingham (Callachan), Millar (Cleeland), Howie, Agnew; Houston, Johnstone.


Keeper Meechan in fine form


Scott Houston outnumbered



Ross Murray getting some close attention


Meechan shows a safe pair of hands - again!

1 Read what others say.

Posted by %spinfine-names.dat%:

I think that is one of the so much important info for me. And i am glad reading your article.
But want to statement on some normal issues, The web site taste
is wonderful, the articles is actually great : D.
Just right task, cheers

Thông tin cty tham tu tai tphcm
Saturday, February 14th 2015 @ 2:23 PM

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »